MovieRecorder 4.0 and MovieRecorder Express 4.0 are now out of beta. Enjoy!
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.6.1?
- IMPROVED: In VTR control, using the carriage return will exit the fields
- IMPROVED: VTR control now sends the play command to VTR when using the "J" key the first time
- IMPROVED: "Contact Softron Support..." now does not have the 7MB limit anymore, which was often "crossed" with macOS 10.12 and later. Also the support team can now allow the upload of large files.
- FIXED: Issue with some destinations (QuickTime segmented, none), encoder could stop if a wrong timestamp was received by the card
- FIXED: Timecode accuracy when using a p50, p59.94 or p60 video source with a Timecode source at 25, 29.97 or 30
- FIXED: Possible crashes when scheduled recording using AAC audio were starting immediately at the startup of the application
WARNING: Required Blackmagic-Design drivers is now 10.9.5 and later for this version (MovieRecorder 3.6 was 10.9.3 and later)
These versions should already be quite stable, but we are fine tuning a few codecs performances, and some features.
Feel free to test this version and stay tuned for future releases.
We are happy to say that we have been working on macOS High Sierra since a while and there is no known issue with the latest versions of our applications. If you want to upgrade, we recommend as usual to have a backup readily available so you can revert back just in case the upgrade does not go as smoothly as it has been for us. If you do so, and you are using a serial number, remember to deactivate your serial number before booting from a backup hard drive.
If you are using a dongle, make sure to update your Softron application to the latest version available from the downloads page (the ones released after September 10th, 2017) to ensure that your dongle license will be seen.
Ten years after the release of the first version of MovieRecorder, we are bringing another major (r)evolution to ingest solutions with MovieRecorder 4 and MovieRecorder Express 4. We will be showing MovieRecorder 4 at IBC2017, stand 7.G12, so come by and see for yourself.
NEW in MovieRecorder 4:
- Fully configurable user interface
- NDI® sources
- External audio sources
- Effects and overlays
- HEVC (H.265) support
- Save and restore configurations
MovieRecorder Express 4 is an entry-level version of MovieRecorder. It uses the same reliable recording engine and beautiful user interface as MovieRecorder 4, with the same outstanding features such as edit-while-ingest, NDI® sources, scheduling, remote control,... But it limits some of the available features to make it even more affordable for everyone.
MovieRecorder 4 and MovieRecorder Express 4 will be available for purchase on October 1st, 2017. Contact us if you are interested in being part of the beta program when it's available.
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.5.5?
- FIXED: Compatibility of "Classic" growing files with Final Cut Pro X 10.3.3.
- FIXED: "Tokens" in metadata were not easily readable (changed text color)
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.5.4 ?
- IMPROVED: Added extra logs to know the version of drivers, if a monitor is connected, etc...
- FIXED: Issue introduced in 3.5.2 with the impossibility to use a modifier key in recording name field
- FIXED: Issue with the custom counter tokens
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.5.2 ?
- NEW: Added a "custom" autosplit duration
- NEW: Added the ability to set a custom "Reel Name" to the QuickTime timecode track (set in the metadata popover)
- NEW: Added a preference to set the "Quality" of the previews. This can help to ease up what is required from the Graphics card, specially when using multiple channels
- IMPROVED: In custom naming, the "sample" can now be displayed on multiple lines
- IMPROVED: Audio AAC preset now only correctly limit the bitrate to 160 kbps per channel
- IMPROVED: Check for max bitrate depending on selected H.264 profile level
- FIXED: When using Deltacast SDI embedded TC, the timecode was set to NDF
- FIXED: In some rare case encoding could stop if the encoder needed to duplicate frames because the computer did not follow
- FIXED: In "Classic" destinations, with drop frame timecodes, timecode could be wrong when recording stopped as it was saved as "non drop frame"
!!! NEW requirements:
- Mac OS 10.10.5 or later (10.9.5 is no longer supported)
- AJA Drivers 12.4.2 or later
- Deltacast Drivers 5.21 or later !!!
- No changes for Decklink (10.3.1 or later).
Check the system requirements page for MovieRecorder.
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.5?
- NEW: Updated video devices SDK and frameworks
- NEW: Edit metadata remotely
- NEW: Counter token in custom naming schemes: place the counter token where you want
- NEW: Some tokens in custom naming schemes can now be formatted differently (Year, Month, Day, Counter)
- NEW: Edit end time or duration of scheduled recordings while they are taking place
- NEW: Display 20 Viewers (4x5)
- NEW: Added more controls with Contour Shuttle to control VTRs
- NEW: Added support for metadata of Borneo MAM
- NEW: Added support for .m4v extension when recording to H.264
- IMPROVED: When in DEMO mode, remote recorders will now show DEMO at the end of their name (to avoid confusion and issues)
- IMPROVED: AJA cards now appear/disappear in the list of playback devices when the device is connected/disconnected
- IMPROVED: When recording to Classic with XDCAM, there are no more issues with long durations (but this is not recommended still)
- IMPROVED: TC track now use the fps of the video input not of the TC source (improves behaviour for users with Audio LTC source)
- FIXED: Some issues with scheduled recordings
- FIXED: Issues with scheduled recordings on Daylight Savings time days
- FIXED: Audio mapping issues when configuring AVpresets
- FIXED: Timecode accuracy when recording to Segmented destination in XDCAM (2 frames offset)
- FIXED: When recording in p50 or p59.94 for more than 9 hours there were incompatibility with the QuickTime file format. We have thus now limited the maximum duration to 9 hours.
- FIXED: Issues with JPEG2000 when recording to interlaced formats
- FIXED: Metadata Sidecar file is now generated also for Scheduled and VTR recordings
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.4.14 ?
- FIXED: The Activity and Logs window was sometimes collapsed in Sierra
- FIXED: Better AV sync when signal was disconnected from a Blackmagic Design HDMI source
- FIXED: Clip names in Serial VTR can not be empty anymore
- IMPROVED: Encoding performances with DNxHD
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.4.12?
- FIXED: Some TC discrepancy when using Mac Clock
- FIXED: Some UI issues in the VTR controls
- FIXED: Issues when capturing in 4K through HDMI with AJA Io 4K
- FIXED: Warnings on duplicated schedule events
- FIXED: UI issue in the Activity and Logs window in macOS Sierra
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.4.10?
- NEW: View with 49 viewers to be able to control even more remote recorders
- FIXED: XDCAM recordings would stop recording in some specific scenarios
- FIXED: Other potential issues with scheduled recordings and rendering of the preview
- FIXED: When starting MovieRecorder, some Blackmagic-Design devices were showing logs about "no incoming signal", even if there was a signal.
What's new in MR 3.4.7?
- IMPROVED: New scheduled events are now enabled by default
- FIXED: Remote timed recordings
- FIXED: Lock/Unlock sources in 10.9.5
- FIXED: Issue with "Auto-split" when using .mp4 extensions
- FIXED: Desync issues with Decklink Quad 2 and Duo 2
- FIXED: Possible desync issues wth Blackmagic-Design devices after a signal loss
- FIXED: Inputs 5-8 of Decklink Quad 2 and 3-4 of Decklink Duo 2 are now properly enabled
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.4.5?
- NEW: Added support for JPEG2000 with 10bitsinputs
- IMPROVED: A recommended preset for XAVC (Note: this is a very CPU intensive codec, so HD support will only work on Mac Pros.)
- IMPROVED: When recording in SD NTSC, a “blank” CC track is no longer created.
- IMPROVED: The audio monitor icon does not show up on remote sources (you can not monitor audio on remote sources yet)
- IMPROVED: Video is now "passed through" the HDMI output for various AJA video devices
- IMPROVED: Contact Support menu now sends more logs (file size may increase)
- FIXED: Contact Support now again sends the system logs of the correct date (3.4.3 did not send the correct dates)
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.4.3 ?
- NEW: VTR Control and Batch capture
- NEW: Support for the JPEG-2000 codec. It does not require the pro codecs option (except if you need to record to MXF). Max 4 channels. It is GPU accelerated and thus requires a Mac Pro 2013. D500 or D700 recommended for 4 channels.
- NEW: Support for XAVC. Note that this is a very CPU intensive codec and it won't support 4K yet. You can record in HD only on a Mac Pro.
- NEW: Ability to "Lock" a source to prevent accidental record & stop record. When starting a scheduled recording and VTR batch capture, it automatically "locks" the source.
- NEW: Ability to configure that audio channels that are monitored for each "Viewer".
- NEW: Metadata sidecar files can now be created at the start or at the end of the recording
- NEW: When a source uses "Video Card Timecode", it is now available as an "Application Timecode Source" in preferences. This allows to "share" TC from one source to the other sources.
- NEW: H.264 destinations can now use the .mp4 extension instead of the .mov extension
- FIXED: Custom naming in MXF DNxHD destinations
- FIXED: TC issues with AJA drivers 10.3.8
Important Note: This updates now require AJA drivers 10.3.7 or later.
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.3.15 ?
- IMPROVED: Added mediaPath to CatDV Metadata XML
- IMPROVED: REC status icon is back at the top of the viewers
- IMPROVED: datarate of DNxHD files recorded to Classic destinations
- IMPROVED: logging when we can not write quickly enough to an MXF DNxHD destination
What's new in MovieRecorder 3.3.8 ?
- NEW added a warning when an M|family device is too hot
- FIXED when modifying a metadata keyset, it is now propagated to all "Viewers"
- FIXED autodetect now works with Teranex
- FIXED possible interlacing issue with DV codecs
- FIXED a possible issue when receiving illegal CC values with the M|family devices
Since the release of MovieRecorder 3.3 in November, it is possible to add metadata to your recordings. The following document explains briefly the integration with Cantemo which provides intuitive and streamlined media management solutions. Its flagship product, Cantemo Portal™, is used by content creators and owners to intuitively manage their media.
- Fixed an issue where the timecode source could revert back to Videocard timecode for BlackMagic devices.
This version just fixes an issue with Closed Captioning in some cases with Blackmagic-Design devices.